The area surrounding the Glenfinnan Monument and the nearby railway viaduct is a popular place for location filming, especially the viaduct.
From Fort William go west on the the A830 until you reach the Glenfinnan Monument at the head of Loch Shiel. A large car park (pay and display £2 in 2005) and the National Trust for Scotland visitor centre are on the right hand side of the road.There is an entrance fee (£3 in 2005) to climb up the monument but no charge to walk around in the surrounding area.
The monument was built in 1815. It marks the place where on the 19th August 1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie raised the standard of the Stuarts and rallied the clans to the cause of putting a Stuart king back on the throne. He proclaimed his father as King James VIII of Scotland and James III of England and set in motion the events which eventually lead to the defeat of his army at the battle of Culloden on the 16th April 1746. Culloden was the last major battle on British soil and ended all hopes of the Stuart dynasty to regain the throne.
The Glenfinnan Railway Viaduct was built between July 1897 and October 1898 by the engineering firm of Sir Robert McAlpine for a cost of £18,904. It carries the Fort William to Mallaig railway across the Glenfinnan Valley. Constructed of concrete the viaduct has 21 arches, the tallest of which stands over 100 feet above the valley floor. Total length of the viaduct is over 1200 feet.